Friday, February 1, 2013

Sleep caught up to me.

So it has been almost a year since I took off my uniform for the final time.

It was a moment of fear and relief combined. Relief because I had been planning for the next step to happen, fear because the military was all I had known as an adult up to that point.

When the transition started, I had no idea what really lie in store for me in the outside world.

I worked tirelessly to find employment and then worked furiously to give my wife and two unborn children a clean, safe environment to live in.

But when I left Germany for the final time I left plenty of what felt like unfinished business behind.

There was always another project to complete, or a new goal to meet.

And this stuff is the same on the outside, but different in the sense that as an individual in the civilian world, I have more freedom as to which direction my life is headed in.

I feel very privileged to have been invited to Colorado Springs by the US Air Force, as it has allowed me to see a few people that made an impact on my life.

So often when in the service, we meet people and then are injected into one an others lives for a limited period of time. When this happens, sometimes a friend is torn away in what seems to be an instant. Then lives are altered so quickly that it makes it very difficult to keep in touch.

I was able to spend time with a few really cool people on this trip. And if nothing else comes of my attempts to make the team, I will leave Colorado with a better sense of purpose due to the lives that I have been able to take part of.

Off to shoot more and then a wheelchair basketball scrimmage.

No comments:

Post a Comment